Canberra managed to steal a championship point, but the unbeaten Sydney Suns juggernaut will roll directly into the AUL grand final on October 12.

The Suns came into this match with nothing to play for, their grand final berth already stitched up.

But Sydney showed no signs of letting up against a Canberra Freeze outfit fighting to avoid the wooden spoon as they won the first set 5-4.

Then the Suns really let themselves off the chain, pummelling the Freeze 8-1 in a decisive second set.

Canberra managed to bounce back, though, in a highly competitive third set and managed to take the championship point from the Suns and restore some pride in the process.

An early David Andrews intercept set the tone of the match for Sydney, who quickly crossed through Rosie Dawson to open the scoring.

Play was stopped for several minutes as Rachel Turton received treatment for a head knock before she eventually walked from the field.

Canberra’s Abbie Dawson did well to deny Holly Reeve on the defensive end, but Sydney scored through Ash Evans with the next play to extend their lead to 2-0.

Dawson was busy on the defensive end, halting an Andrews goal and keeping Canberra in the hunt. Then a diving Scott Perry pulled off a spectacular goal for the Freeze to hit back.

Yet another Dawson block handed Canberra possesion and they were able to lock up the scores through Erin Wallis.

Both teams traded goals heading into the timecap with the scores still even at 4-4 as Andrew Jackson scored for Canberra in the dying seconds of the set.

It was frantic, end-to-end Ultimate in extra time as both sides battled to find the knockout punch.

Eventually it was Mark Wee who broke the deadlock, securing the set 5-4 for Sydney.

Sydney crush Canberra in commanding second set

Sydney started the second set where they left off in the first, putting Sarah Perkins and Rosie Dawson over for goals in a confident display to open up a 2-0 lead.

Adelaide Dennis came off second best as she tried to deny Alex Ladomatos, who reached high to take the disc and put Sydney up 3-0.

The alarm bells were ringing for Canberra when Dani Alexander crossed to make it 4-0 and Calan Spielman had to crash through two defenders to latch onto a long pass to put the Freeze on the board.

The goals kept raining down on the Freeze, though, with Sydney pushing out to a commanding 8-1 lead before Scott Perry grabbed a consolation for Canberra at the end of the set.

Freeze strike back to take a championship point from the match

Canberra need to snap back into action quickly after the second set hammering, but it was Sydney who scored first again through Sarah Wentworth.

Calan Spielman responded for the Freeze but when the Suns scored through Reeve and Kya Wiya – who latched onto a perfectly weighted pass – the signs looked ominous.

Spielman and Hannah Monty responded, though, and with nine minutes left to play the scores were locked at 3-3.

The set became a real arm-wrestle as Spielman kept finding himself in space, scoring four goals to help the Freeze keep the scores even with just one minute left to play.

Wiya had a chance to take the set in timecap but the disc spilled free from her hands, giving Canberra an opportunity to steal a championship point.

Jackson duly obliged, racing over to win the set 6-5 in a terrific response to their second set woes.